4/21/10

Smallville 9-18 "Upgrade" Review

Since I haven't had much to review lately, I decided to do TV show reviews BY EPISODE, and fpr the season finale review (well, instead of it) I'll do an entire season review (sorta like tv.ign.com). So here goes my review for last week's Smallville episode.

After those 3 or 4 episodes after "Absolute Justice", I had lost all the hope I had for Smallville Season 9 that i had for the first half pf the season. I mean come on, Pink Kryoptonite? Sometimes I wish the WB still had the rights, not the CW. Anyway, 9-17 "Checkmate" Got me a little more excited about this season's finale, and for this episode (9-18), I finally realized that season 9 can redeem itself, though it hasn't yet (I'm still trying to get over that Valentines Day one, and then the horrible Silver Banshee...never mind, I'm just going to continue with my review).

Upgrade brings the return of one of my favorite Smallville villains from one of my favorite Smallville episodes, Metallo. It also brings one of my least favorite season 2 storyline of Red Kryptonite. I absolutely hated that season 2 to season 3 transition where Clark is evil and leaves to metropolis. The writers actually integrated the Red Kryptonite into the Zod story arc this time, so it actually makes sense. I never thought I'd say this, but Red Kryptonite does actually work in this episode.

Of course, this also means Clark and Zod go to Seattle and make it snow.

Zod takes advantage of Clark's new attitude and uses him as an ally against Metallo, who turns out to be good this episode. Due to Smallville budget (I hate that stupid budget that keeps cool stuff from happening), the fight scene wasn't as epic as I would of hoped (kind of reminded me of Doomsday's "death"). Still, we got some memorable moments from Metallo, and I hope he comes back to Smallville Season 10.

I was hoping for a bigger twist at the end of the episode, but I did like how Zod was giving all the Kandorians powers. This is getting me really excited for the season 9 finale. (see major spoiler here)

This season could be my best if they do the season finale right. Right now, I still need some episodes like season 8's "Bride" to get over those awful mid-season episodes.

No comments: