10/3/09

Smallville Episode 9-2 Metallo Review



Smallville has evolved into what I like to call "Dark Knight for Superman." In case you haven't seen the first episode of this season, Clark has an official costume now for his dual identity, which looks like something from the Matrix. This season is a lot darker, which is a change from season 1's comic-bookish freak-of-the-week (fans called smallville this in the first season when there was a different villain every week) feel. I think this is the best season of Smallville so far, and it better be if this is the last season (which many people have been speculating.)

This episode reminds me of freak-of-the-week actually, and surprisingly enough, I really enjoyed it. The story follows John Corben, a new reporter at the Daily Planet that appeared in the first episode. He has a grudge against the red-blue blur (Superman's widely known nick-name, he hasn't officially been named Superman yet) for not saving his sister (which of course is not Clark's fault).

He gets hit by a bus (this episode has a very brutal 5-10 minutes in the first half, so just to warn you) and wakes up in a laboratory. He looks at his heart, which weirdly resembles Tony Stark's but green and made of kryptonite. He now is living off kryptonite, which is not too great for our protagonist. Metallo (John Corben) sets out to kill the red-blue blur. I'm not going to spoil anything, but let me just say that the battle at the end is very climatic and just fricken awesome.

Pretty much all I can say is that Smallville has evolved into something amazing. Its now movie quality, and definitely could be my favorite movie if they ever made one (I'm hoping they have the Smallville show finale an actual movie, but I'm probably just dreaming...). I'm serious, if you have't checked out Smallville season 9, thats terrible. Absolutely ridiculous. Watch this now. Its worth the 3 bucks on iTunes by far.

No comments: