7/17/09

Special Edition Post 200 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Review






As you can see, there is a lot of hype for this movie. It's the second to last film (actually, there splitting the last one into to parts) for the seemingly endless book and movie franchise. Everyone's at least heard of Harry Potter by now, and if you haven't, then all I can say is wow. 

I was really excited for this movie just after I read the book, and the film is true to it's famous book that it's based on. The plot flows very well, and nothing remotely interesting seemed to have been taken out. I really do think this film did justice to the book, and if that's all you needed to hear, then this movie is definitely for you.

You might think I'm crazy, but I actually like how Voldemort (whoops, I'm not supposed to say his name!) was only in the movie as a kid. It made him seem more evil, and the actors for teenage and kid Voldemort were really creepy; they did a great job. This movie added depth as well as mystery and fear to Voldemort's character. This is what made this movie great.

What I am missing though is the action scenes. There were barely any dueling, which I always thought was cool. What I did like was the lack of Quiditch. For some reason I've just never been really excited about the wizard sport. In fact, before I ever saw the first Harry Potter movie, I didn't even know wizard's played sports at all! Anyway, back to the action. I guess if you want action, see the latest Michael Bay film in theaters. If you want a deep story with great characters, Harry Potter is the movie to watch this summer.

Speaking of characters, that reminds me of the acting. As usually, Daniel Radcliff gives a solid but somewhat uninteresting (okay, not really, but you know what I mean if you've seen it) performance in this film. He's not really bad in it, but, you know, for this hype you'd expect top quality. Now Dumbledore on the other hand gives a superb, competing for the best acting in the summer in my opinion. All of the things he says are deep and meaningful. Everyone else is average, but not bad. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Snape. He is another competitor for best acting. You really don't know if he's good or evil (unless you've read Deathly Hallows). 

This was probably the funniest HP film in the series. My favorite british word is now "snogging". In America we say "making out", but the british always come up with strange ways to say things. The love humor is hilarious, and it kinda brings comic relief to this dark movie. 

Speaking of "dark movie", this SHOULD NOT be rated PG. It's really crazy. We almost took my 6-year-old sister, then realized that was a bad idea considering she didn't like Star Trek. Just a warning

I really like this movie; It really adds to the series. Lack of action scenes don't take much away from the rating. 

A-



2 comments:

MBJ said...

Loved this movie.

Skyler Olson said...

Yeah, I thought it was good, too.